"There is a truth to sport, a purity, a drama, an intensity. A spirit that makes it irresistable to take part in, and irresistable to watch. In every Olympic sport there is all that matters in life.

And one day we will tell our children, and our grandchildren, than when our time came we did it right."
- Seb Coe, opening the 2012 games

Friday 27 July 2012

The B-word

I've been rambling a lot about the games in different places, ad they haven't even started yet.  So I thought I'd spare my friends' facebook feed the bulk of the onslaught to come, and put things in one place.  Thus, a blog.  Ta-da.

The Olympics, for all their faults, are one of my favourite things in the world.  London, for all its' faults, is just about my favourite city in the world.  So just the phrase 'London Olympics' makes me want to jump up and down a bit.  Imagine how you'd react to the words 'Free Bacon Daily' or 'New Elvis Recordings Found' or 'European Champions Swindon Town' or whatever your personal bag happens to be.  That's what 'London Olympics' has been doing in my mind since a guy opened an envelope in 2005.

I realise that this is a bit of a mystery to many people.  The games themselves are going to be a right pain for a great many people who live in London and don't share that love of sport.  I don't want to preach, I just want to thank anyone who's reading this despite feeling that the Games are something that will need to be endured rather than celebrated.

Hope everybody has the best fortnight they can, whether they're competing, watching, or just hoping it'll all be over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment