"There is a truth to sport, a purity, a drama, an intensity. A spirit that makes it irresistable to take part in, and irresistable to watch. In every Olympic sport there is all that matters in life.

And one day we will tell our children, and our grandchildren, than when our time came we did it right."
- Seb Coe, opening the 2012 games

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Making the Games

I've talked a lot about the superb job done by London's  'Games Makers' - the 70,000 army of volunteers who serve as everything from guides to runners, PAs, ball-girls and brilliantly dry light entertainment.  It's hard to praise their collective charm and individual efforts enough.


Richard Collis is a chaperone at the Aquatics Centre, where his chief task is to make sure the medal-winning competitors make it smoothly and punctually from the pool through their press responsibilities and doping control to the podium itself and the medal ceremony.  'It's pretty awesome; even though I don't get to sit pool-side and watch the race I do get the hang out with the medalists for a short time', Rich tells me. 'I can't really think of a job I'd rather have... maybe dressing up as one of the mascots... or giving Jess Ennis a rub-down...'  


Rich, we need you on rub-downs this evening

'Seriously though, I volunteered because I wanted to be part of what could well be the biggest sporting event of our generation - to be able to look back and say 'I did my bit' (not like its a war or anything...) and be part of the 'legacy''


He may not get poolside until the races are over, but once released to collect the swimmers, he's close enough to hear Michael Phelps swearing himself silly after getting beaten into second place in the 200m Butterfly.  Who's he met?  'Phelps, Addlington, Tancock, Lochte, Mark Foster, and others.  He's 'building up to try and chat-up Sharon Davies'.  Perhaps the lure of the uniform will tip the balance for him.  


Rich achieved one slightly lesser ambition ;last night - a medal photo.  After the women's 200m individual medley, he found himself in the company of Australian triple medalist Alicia Coutts.  A few moments of witty banter and a flash of that uniform - the result?


'She invited the photo - I asked politely to hold the medal... then completely took the piss by biting it...'


I'm in danger of repeating myself, but we've struck gold with these Games Makers.  I've not met one who's above being thanked for that, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment